RE: Selection changes in revno 100822

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Selection changes in revno 100822
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 15:55:00 -0700

> "I am a fish" select it then M-w copy in emacs
> "hello there" select it then C-c copy in notepad
> mouse-2 in emacs =>
> "hello there" inserted in emacs
>   (inserting the current w32 clipboard)
> C-y in emacs =>
> "I am a fish" inserted in emacs
>   (not inserting the current w32 clipboard but rather the
>    head of emacs kill ring. I would have expected the
>    current w32 clipboard, as an x11 user).
> C-v in notepad =>
> "hello there" inserted in notepad
>   (inserting the current w32 clipboard)
>
> "I am a duck" select it in emacs
> "goodbye then" C-c copy in notepad
> mouse-2 in emacs =>
> "goodbye then" inserted in emacs
>   (inserting the current w32 clipboard)
> mouse-2 in emacs =>
> "I am a duck" inserted in emacs
>   (inserting the emacs emulated primary selection)
> C-v in notepad =>
> "goodbye then" inserted in notepad
>   (inserting the current w32 clipboard)

Thank you, David.  That is precisely the kind of example that makes clear the
behavior, whether problematic and unintentional as (presumably) in this case or
intended as part of the proposed changes.

The parenthetical references to "primary" and "clipboard" are just that:
parenthetical, accessory.  The behavior is 100% understandable to an Emacs user
without those references (even if the refs might help some people who are
familiar with the terms to understand better).

Let's please see more such operational description.  Tell us what the proposed
changes (all of them) mean in just such user-behavior terms, please.