Re: Locks on the Bzr repository

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Locks on the Bzr repository
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 11:57:58 +0300

> From: Andreas Schwab <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 09:40:43 +0200
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > We been through this before, search the archives.  Anyway, pull is not
> > faster than commit.
>
> A local commit is faster, and the push can then transfer all pending
> commits in a single transaction.

That's true, but it doesn't necessarily help too much, because pushing
many pending commits moves much more stuff through the wire, and you
need to wait longer.  IOW, the overhead of a small commit is not much
larger, relatively to the diffs, than the overhead of a large commit,
at least for my connection.

Plus, pushing many unrelated commits has a drawback as not showing in
"bzr log" unless you also use the --include-merges (or -n0) switch,
which makes "bzr log" significantly slower.

Worst of all, no progress is being reported regarding turning on
bzr+ssh on savannah.  It's been 9 months since work on this was
supposed to have been started, enough time to deliver a baby, and I
have no idea when (or if) this will happen.  Could those "in the know"
please tell what is holding this back?  Given the information about
the difficulties, maybe someone, whose connection is not so fast and
whose motivation is therefore high, could help.