Re: Locks on the Bzr repository

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Locks on the Bzr repository
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 19:59:36 +0300

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 23:10:04 +0900
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> In a workflow like Emacs's, where contributions go to trunk and
> release manager looks for patches to cherry-pick, the "branch per fix"
> approach probably makes more sense.

The problem is that a new branch needs to be bootstrapped, which takes
time.  What I do to avoid that is keep the feature branch around even
after the last feature I worked on was merged into trunk and committed
upstream.  Then, when I need to work on another feature in a separate
branch again, I make the existing branch a mirror of the then current
trunk with "bzr pull --overwrite" (after "bzr status" and careful
study of its output!).  Voila! I now have a fresh branch that does not
need a bootstrap.