Re: Best way to intercept terminal escape sequences?

From: Ryan Johnson
Subject: Re: Best way to intercept terminal escape sequences?
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 09:54:23 +0200

 On 8/28/2010 1:54 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
I think the only way that is easier and cleaner would be if Emacs
could read the mouse input from a separate file descriptor.  We could
Note that under older Emacsen, read-event did not obey the
keyboard-coding-system at all: it only applied to read-key-sequence.
So maybe we should simply change read-event not to try and decoding
keyboard input.
That might make sense... the caller could always apply the coding system manually before dumping things back in the unread-command-events queue.

Who currently uses read-* that might be affected? xt-mouse.el would love it, mouse.el certainly won't care, and other xterm processing will be indifferent.

BTW, I've been playing with read-key and it's perfect for making mouse.el and xt-mouse.el play nice together! I'm a tad unclear on the difference between read-key and read-key-sequence, though, other than the latter letting you supply a minibuffer prompt.

Ryan