Re: Changes to emacs-23 branch and the trunk

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Changes to emacs-23 branch and the trunk
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 10:43:18 +0200

> So to apply your procedure in the above model, what I should
> do is this, right?

> A % cd work-23
>   <make-change>
>   % bzr commit -m 'my change'
>   % cd ../emacs-23
> B % bzr up
>   <assuming that there's no new change>
> C % bzr merge ../work-23
>   % bzr commit -m 'my change'
>   % cd ../work
>   % bzr merge ../emacs-23
>   <fix conflicts>
>   % bzr commit -m "Merge by hand from emacs-23"
>   % cd ../trunk
>   % bzr up
>   <assuming that there's no new change>
>   % bzr commit -m "Merge by hand from emacs-23"

That looks right, yes, except for a missing "bzr merge ../work" before
the last commit.

> Does this surely records that the trunk already took in my
> change for emacs-23?

Yes.

> I think that's necessary to avoid future double merging.

Indeed.  Note that the steps you describe above are the normal steps to
do a merge (except they go through many branches rather than going
straight from emacs-23 to trunk).

The key part of my suggestion was to use "bzr revert ." followed by
applying the change by hand, rather than resoling the conflicts, since
I thought that's what you asked.

        Stefan