get-char-code-property: reports incorrect char names?

From: T.V. Raman
Subject: get-char-code-property: reports incorrect char names?
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 17:36:35 -0700

This is using the latest bzr snapshot, with the latest
unicodedata.txt from the Unicode  consortium.

I noticed that I was hearing incorrect character names for
unicode chars from Emacspeak --- and it's possibly due to a bug
in get-char-code-property.

The solution that works  describe-char-unicode-data --- is
declared to be semi-obsolete.

To see the problem, see code fragments and result of evaluation:

The  character used is the "cent sign" ==
¢ inserted via C-x 8c in the buffer.

(loop for p in
      (mapcar 'car char-code-property-alist)
      do
      (insert
       (format "%s: %s\n" p (get-char-code-property ?¢ p ))))

titlecase: nil
lowercase: nil
uppercase: nil
iso-10646-comment: nil
old-name: nil
mirrored: N
numeric-value: nil
digit-value: nil
decimal-digit-value: nil
decomposition: nil
bidi-class: ET
canonical-combining-class: 0
general-category: Sc
name: SUPERSET NYA FA SIGN

Compared to what describe-char-unicode-data returns for the same
character: note particularly the Name field.
(describe-char-unicode-data ?¢)
(("Name" "CENT SIGN")
 ("Category" "Symbol, Currency")
 ("Combining class" "Sc")