Re: get-char-code-property: reports incorrect char names?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: get-char-code-property: reports incorrect char names?
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 02:38:12 -0400

> Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 17:36:35 -0700
> From: "T.V. Raman" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> This is using the latest bzr snapshot, with the latest
> unicodedata.txt from the Unicode  consortium.

Did you actually mean "from the Unicode  consortium", i.e. you are
using a file that is different from what we have in the repository?

Introduction of a new UnicodeData.txt file requires to run several
commands in the admin subdirectory, and then rebuild several Lisp
files.  Did you do all that?

> I noticed that I was hearing incorrect character names for
> unicode chars from Emacspeak --- and it's possibly due to a bug
> in get-char-code-property.
>
> The solution that works  describe-char-unicode-data --- is
> declared to be semi-obsolete.
>
> To see the problem, see code fragments and result of evaluation:
>
> The  character used is the "cent sign" ==
> ¢ inserted via C-x 8c in the buffer.
>
> (loop for p in
>       (mapcar 'car char-code-property-alist)
>       do
>       (insert
>        (format "%s: %s\n" p (get-char-code-property ?¢ p ))))
>
> titlecase: nil
> lowercase: nil
> uppercase: nil
> iso-10646-comment: nil
> old-name: nil
> mirrored: N
> numeric-value: nil
> digit-value: nil
> decimal-digit-value: nil
> decomposition: nil
> bidi-class: ET
> canonical-combining-class: 0
> general-category: Sc
> name: SUPERSET NYA FA SIGN

I cannot reproduce this with today's build of the trunk.  I get "CENT
SIGN" for the `name' property of a character inserted by "C-x 8c".
Also, there's no character named "SUPERSET NYA FA SIGN" in
UnicodeData.txt that's in the repository.

Does this happen for you in "emacs -Q"?  If not, there's some other
factor at work here.