Re: How do I use tags to go to begv_byte instead of BEGV_BYTE?

From: Francesco Potortì
Subject: Re: How do I use tags to go to begv_byte instead of BEGV_BYTE?
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 22:57:26 +0200

>> I have not used etags for some time now, mostly because I have not done
>> development on multi-file projects for some years.  But I think that
>> etags.el should in fact take the major mode into account.
>
>Thanks for the vote.
>
>Maybe the improvement would be to use `major mode' `syntax tables' as
>well to recognize tokens, and/or better integration with CEDET (yes,
>`etags' seems to be quite lightweight alternative + provides consistent
>interface for dealing with tags).

etags has its own rules for identifying characters, and those same rules
ae mirrored into etags.el.  What would be syntax tables used for?

>BTW: clearly I now see you are a maintainer of `etags' package and I
>should contact you before I posted a patch, but just didn't think about
>it. I might contact you with some more sooner or later. :)

Don't worry.  I am not very active with etags.  Fortunately it needs
little work, but nonetheless I have backlogs.  By the way, I could use
some help in maintaining it.