Re: Structural regular expressions

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Structural regular expressions
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 10:46:41 +0200

> Would generalizing the narrowing behavior to arbitrarily many ranges in
> a buffer instead of a single range have extensive ramifications?  Would
> this be an easy or difficult thing to implement?

Since the non-narrowed part is not displayed at all, it wouldn't be
quite what we want anyway.
We'd need to add something new, tho it could be based on something
pre-existing (e.g. it could rely on text properties like to `invisible'
and/or `intangible').

> If it's not too difficult then providing behavior like that mentioned in
> the article above should be trivial.

Nothing's trivial when you have to ensure some amount of backward
compatibility with code written many years ago ;-)

But of course, it would be OK to start with something that may break
pre-existing code, as long as it's only broken when you use the
new feature.

And I agree with Lennart, that such a new tool, if done right, could be
a good basis for better multi-mode support.

        Stefan