Re: Delphi, Pascal, delphi-mode, pascal-mode, and free software

From: Simon South
Subject: Re: Delphi, Pascal, delphi-mode, pascal-mode, and free software
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 09:25:46 -0400

On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 14:48 +0200, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> From the above I gather than the language part of Delphi is basically
> the same as Free Pascal, so maybe we could rename it free-pascal.el?

Well, it's only one of several dialects Free Pascal understands (and not
the default).  The actual name of the language is Object Pascal, so how
about object-pascal.el?

> OK.  Indeed from looking at them there didn't seem to be much shared
> ancestry.  Do you happen to know what major dialect of Pascal is
> supported by pascal-mode?

No... I'd assume it's standard Pascal (ISO 7185) but I don't know for
sure.  (Actually, if it isn't, it probably should be.)

> Merging seems difficult, indeed.  But at least from what you say, it
> seems like it would be desirable to try and shape future changes so as
> to reduce the differences rather than increase them.

Agreed!

--
Simon South
address@hidden