Re: Google modules integration

From: Sebastian Rose
Subject: Re: Google modules integration
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 22:03:19 +0200

>       Some examples
>     > that I have used myself in the past:
>     >
>     >         http://housingmaps.com/
>     >         http://mapwow.com/
>
>     It's illegal to do so, without displaying googles copyright notice on
>     the map (if you do not buy a commercial license...).
>
> It is plausible Google can use copyright to make this requirement on
> sites that show the map data to others.  However, getting and viewing
> the data yourself is a different issue entirely.
>
>     It's simply illegal to use google-maps.el.
>
> I don't believe it.  I doubt Google either would or could enforce
> copyright to stop individual users from looking at the maps.

You might be right.  I think I misinterpreted this text here:

http://www.google.com/intl/en_us/help/terms_maps_earth.html
states:

 --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8--
 2. Restrictions on Use. Unless you have received prior written
 authorization from Google (or, as applicable, from the provider of
 particular Content), you must not:
(a) access or use the Products or any Content through any technology or
 means other than those provided in the Products, or through other
 explicitly authorized means Google may designate (such as through the
 Google Maps/Google Earth APIs);
(b) copy, translate, modify, or make derivative works of the Content or
 any part thereof;
(c) redistribute, sublicense, rent, publish, sell, assign, lease,
 market, transfer, or otherwise make the Products or Content available
 to third parties;

Many third party software uses google maps, but I'm not sure, what
applies here and what steps they have to take to use the maps.  If you
want to use google maps on a web site (i.e. provide them for public
use), you need a valid API key which is valid per site, not per person.

A native speaker could start here to find out more:

http://www.google.com/intl/en-us/help/legalnotices_maps.html

  Sebastian