Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: Arabic support

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: Arabic support
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 08:40:14 +0200

> Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 17:08:01 +0200 (CEST)
> From: address@hidden
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> - copy arabic text from two different applications to emacs
> it works correctly exepted that tashkeel seems lost when the source include
> it.
> But after verification if I try to mark the region in question the tashkeel
> appears :)

It's probably some bad interaction between compositions and the
handling of faces in the bidirectional display.  Perhaps Handa-san
could take a look at xdisp.c:handle_stop_backwards and how it is
called inside next_element_from_buffer -- there might be some bugs
there whereby only part of the composed sequence is redrawn when the
region is extended or contracted.

> In my dot emacs i found what may be the cause of my problem.
>

>  '(selection-coding-system (quote utf-8-dos))

This one is your problem: you should never do that on MS-Windows.

>  '(unify-8859-on-decoding-mode t)
>  '(unify-8859-on-encoding-mode t)

These are obsolete, as everything is always unified in Emacs 24.