Re: Pushing the `gnus-range-*' functions down into the C layer

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Pushing the `gnus-range-*' functions down into the C layer
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 10:52:22 -0500

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:28:28 -0600 Tom Tromey <address@hidden> wrote:

Ted> If everything was inside a num64-* namespace and a num64.el package,
Ted> it's a pretty easy implementation.  I'm not an expert on numeric
Ted> algorithms[1] but I'd guess the internals can be pretty easily
Ted> implemented in ELisp as a list of up to 3 native 28-bit ints.  In fact
Ted> I'm surprised that doesn't exist yet; maybe I've missed it.

Tom> I thought there was one in Calc.

Yeah, looks like calc-math.el:math-* could work.  It's all ELisp and
could use some C love, especially if 64-bit is native.  So Lars can use
the math-* functions to store and retrieve large numbers (they fall back
to native ELisp numbers) and he'll need a special range-memq to work
with the math-* bignums in a range.

Ted