Re: Compiling Elisp to a native code with a GCC plugin

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Compiling Elisp to a native code with a GCC plugin
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 17:09:16 +0200

This reminds me of a question I've forgotten to ask.

Many protocols that Gnus parses is such that I need to find some string
that matches the beginning of the line, and I usually do

  (re-search-forward "^foo ")

or the like.  However, many times the it's really a substring and not a
regexp, and I could say

  (search-forward "\nfoo ")

if it weren't for that not matching the first entry in a buffer.

So you end up with

(or (looking-at "foo ") (search-forward "\nfoo "))

which creates a regexp, anyway, and seems clumsy.

So what I wonder is whether there is a smarter way to do this, in
general.  (I'm assuming that a simple string search is faster than a
regexp search, but I've never actually benchmarked this.)

  address@hidden * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen