Remote display-time-mail-file

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Remote display-time-mail-file
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 20:38:32 +0200

Is this supposed to work:

 (setq display-time-mail-file "/plink:address@hidden:/var/mail/eliz")

?

It doesn't work well for me in Emacs 23.2 on MS-Windows, and the
reason seems to be that file-attributes, called by
display-time-file-nonempty-p, only probes the file once, and
thereafter returns the same attributes, even when the file's size
changes.  Is there some cache somewhere?

I tried to debug this, but since I don't even see
tramp-handle-file-attributes being called, I'm probably missing
something very important.  But what?

FWIW, visiting files on the same host via the `plink' method does
work.

TIA