Re: Remote display-time-mail-file

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Remote display-time-mail-file
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 12:49:37 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> That's true, but my conclusion from this is different: we probably
> should have finer granularity of the cache setting.
>
> I guess some of the internal Tramp functions need not be called any
> time soon after the first call, for example those that find out which
> method to use to access the remote and which scripts to run on the
> remote side.  Other internal functions will need to run every time
> display-time-file-nonempty-p is called.  And there could be those in
> between.  So perhaps these internal functions should be categorized in
> some reasonable manner, and then corresponding values added to the
> repertoire of tramp-cache-inhibit-cache's values, so that Lisp
> programs could have finer control on what is being cached and when the
> cache is refreshed.

When I have started with Tramp 2.1, 5 years ago, I did some profiling
with Tramp. IIRC, there are only some few functions (like
file-attributes), which are called frequently, and which profit from
caching more than other functions. Maybe we shall rerun this profiling
again, since we have started Tramp 2.2 :-)

I guess we could use caching just for these high-runner functions; for
the other ones it doesn't matter whether we have caching, or not.

Best regards, Michael.