RE: C-d deleting region considered harmful

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: C-d deleting region considered harmful
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 08:26:24 -0700

> This change has removed a reaonable distinction between deleting a
> character (C-d) and deleting a region (C-w) which was a good thing.
>
> Yet another bad change.

+1, including for "yet another".

Emacs had the best selection/region behavior around, especially if a user chose
to use delete-selection mode.  For months now selection/region behavior has been
in the process of stumbling "improvement", leading to lots of bug reports and a
fair amount of grumbling.

Personally, I'm just waiting for this work-in-progress to die down and the final
customization settings to be made known that let users restore the previous,
sane selection/region behavior.

There are so many ways Emacs could _really_ be improved.  Why is it so hard to
learn "If it ain't broke don't fix it"?