Re: What does Emacs on w32 know that grep can't figure out?

From: PJ Weisberg
Subject: Re: What does Emacs on w32 know that grep can't figure out?
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 19:41:35 -0700

On 9/30/10, Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 3:20 AM, Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Oh, I wouldn't consider Emacs broken if I cannot grep utf-16 files
>> from inside it. YMMV.
>
> I am a bit surprised by that.

Well, the "grep through files" function is semi-broken, but then
again, the "send email" function is broken if your mail server is
down.  ::shrug::

> And are not most of the things to handle that from within Emacs
> actually in place? Though of course putting files into buffers to
> search them are out of the question for performance reasons.

If you take a look at the grep function in Emacs
 you'll see that all it really does is call a shell command and
collect the output.  So all the stuff that's "already in place"
probably would require loading the text into a buffer.