RE: Merging Finder into package mechanism

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Merging Finder into package mechanism
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 15:03:45 -0700

> > Nothing, including doc strings, the manuals, and even code behavior,
> > _really_ matters for users until Emacs is released.  Of course.  But
> > that is no reason to wait until just before a release to add the doc
> > strings, update the manual, or correct the code.
>
> There's a significant difference between ChangeLog entries and
> docstrings, on the one hand, and the manual.  Additions to the manual
> take an order of magnitude more time and effort, which are
> wasted if the code changes later in the development cycle.

I don't disagree with any of that.

> The NEWS file falls somewhere in between.  It's good to keep NEWS
> entries as detailed and up to date as possible.

We agree.  That's what I was asking for: as up-to-date as possible.

> But, in cases where we know an implementation detail is going to
> be changed before release, it's OK to put FIXME placeholders there.
> Before the pretest, someone (usually me) goes through NEWS and fixes
> the entries.

Yes to all of that also.  So I guess you are saying that nothing is known today
about where the info will be that used to be in `finder-package-info'.  You know
where it is today, but you expect that will change.  Fair enough.

I was hoping we could tell developers today what to do to migrate their code
from using `finder-package-info'.  Apparently that's not yet the case.  Please
update the NEWS with this info when it is available.  Thanks.