Re: undecided vs utf-8

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: undecided vs utf-8
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 10:01:11 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 20:02:15 -0400
>
> > After rooting through this rather confusing system, I guess what I'm
> > saying is that doing
> > (set-coding-system-priority 'utf-8)
> > might, perhaps, make sense?  As a default?
>
> I'd tend to agree.

Please don't.  The current defaults took a very long time to get to,
and they generally do a good job.  So let's not destabilize Emacs in
this area by changing such global defaults so unconditionally, based
on a single use-case of a single program.  At least not before we
understand well why Emacs didn't DTRT in that use-case.