Re: The window-pub branch

From: Štěpán Němec
Subject: Re: The window-pub branch
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 20:46:11 +0100

martin rudalics <address@hidden> writes:

>> Well, it definitely feels very disruptive to me, and from what you write
>> I don't see a simple way to get rid of that behaviour.
>
> The trunk would have refused to split the window in this case (assuming
> split-height-threshold = 2 * window-min-height).  I can do the same
> here.  Try with

We're apparently miscommunicating again. I _do_ want the window to be
split, but I also want it to be split _evenly_.

Although the new customization system is definitely more powerful, I'm
still at a loss as to how to use it to preserve even the basic behaviour
I'm used to. That's a serious problem in itself IMHO.[1]

(I don't know if you consider the system advertising-ready as it is now,
but I think in that case there should be either a way to get it to
preserve the old behaviour (i.e. respect the split-*-threshold variables
etc.), or an explanation on how to migrate the old settings to the new
system. Otherwise I can't imagine how even people less dense and more
patient than me are going to be happy with it.)

>> I believe at
>> least `even-window-sizes' should take precedence over the
>> min-{height-width} settings (or perhaps we could use (even-window-sizes
>> . force) or something?).
>
> In an earlier version I did apply `even-window-sizes' to split windows.
> But if I do so, I deliberately ignore the `window-min-height' specifier
> (or `split-height-threshold', whatever you prefer to call it) in the
> case you mention.  Also, evening out heights is done iff the new window
> is smaller than the selected one so it would not apply by default here.

Hm. I won't pretend I really understand what you're saying here. :-)

> (BTW I hopefully fixed the minibuffer problem in the meantime.  Please
> try it when the fix makes it to the git mirror.)

Yes, it's fixed now, thank you!

  Štěpán

[1] To reiterate and put my it more concretely: in the old system I
simply set the `split-*-threshold' variables to specify conditions under
which a window can be split. Then whenever such conditions are satisfied
the windows are split _evenly_. How on Earth do I get this simple
behaviour with window-pub?