Re: ELPA policy

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: ELPA policy
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 15:12:15 -0500

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> For new packages, I'd expect only a few people to have such rights,
> but for updates, I'd expect something like "anybody with access to the
> Bzr repository".  After all, if they can screw with the main Emacs
> codebase, why not with the ELPA packages.

One difference, though, is that screwing with the main Emacs codebase
affects only those using the development version of Emacs, and we have
mechanisms like the diffs mailing list for problems to be easily
spotted.  After Emacs 24 is released, by screwing with elpa.gnu.org you
can immediately affect users of deployed stable Emacs versions.

So, we need to be a bit more paranoid for elpa.gnu.org than for our main
repository.

I agree, though, that it would be nice for Emacs developers to easily
edit packages in elpa.gnu.org without going through an onerous package
upload process.  I'm not sure how to set this up, though maybe the way
the Org daily builds are handled can be used as a starting point.