Re: AUCTeX inclusion [Re: elpa.gnu.org repository sync with Emacs]

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: AUCTeX inclusion [Re: elpa.gnu.org repository sync with Emacs]
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 23:25:47 -0500

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 03:01:09 -0500 Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> DN> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
>>> On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 19:00:10 +0100 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
>>> wrote:
>>>
> LMI> So...  ELPA would be for packages that we want to have readily available
> LMI> in Emacs, but that we can't ever easily cut any cruft out of as Emacs
> LMI> progresses?  But since the FSF-copyright assignment regime would still
> LMI> apply to ELPA, we'd wouldn't be able to accept big packages like auctex
> LMI> anyway?
>>>
>>> You know, AUCTeX is in there...  http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/
>>>
>>> Chong Yidong and the AUCTeX maintainers spent a lot of time getting the
>>> copyrights done and putting the tarball together.
>
> DN> Is the any reason not to include AUCTeX in emacs proper instead of elpa?
>
> We just went over this several times, didn't we?

Sorry, I must have missed that discussion.  Can you please point me to it?

> DN> It's a very useful package to have working by default without having
> DN> to deal with setting up packages.
>
> You say that like it's a hard task.
>
> M-x package-list-packages
> `i' on whatever you want to install, then `x'

That's a lot more complicated than have things just work by default.
AUCTeX is better than the currently integrated latex mode, so it's
better to just integrated it in emacs instead of having people fiddle
with installing packages.