Re: Searching bugs before filing new ones

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Searching bugs before filing new ones
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 16:22:50 -0500

"Andrew W. Nosenko" wrote:

> Usually, in general case, an user that reports a bug has not enough
> skills and knowledge in the area for be sure that a bug, which he
> going to report, and a bug, which found by pre-submit query, are
> duplicates indeed.  Therefore, request he to make such decition is
> just unfair (and ineffective).

If I were reporting a bug with Emacs going to the wrong column, I
think the minimum effort I should put in is to search for reports with
"column" in the subject. I personally think that's a fair expectation,
but if you disagree with that I'm not going to be able to change your
mind.

For an obvious problem with the development version, then personally I
would also wait a couple of days before making a report.

Clearly duplicates will still occur and will need to be merged; it's
not a big deal and I certainly don't want to discourage people from
making bug reports.