Re: The window-pub branch

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: The window-pub branch
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 18:51:00 +0100

> However there are some pre-configured entries with specifiers
> in `display-buffer-names'.
>
> You have already pre-configured entries in `display-buffer-regexps'

Yes.  But these are not tied to applications.  They just mimic the old
default values of `pop-up-windows' etc.

I can't put application specific things in `display-buffer-names'.  We
could have done that long ago, for example for info or help, instead of
clobbering options like `same-window-buffer-names' via add-hook.

It doesn't help putting them there for the following simple reason:

(1) The user customizes `display-buffer-names' and saves the
    customizations to his .emacs.

(2) An application wants to change a preconfigured value or introduce a
    new one.

In this case you would have to merge the preconfigured value with the
one on .emacs.  I can neither expect the user to do this manually nor
write a program in reasonable time that solves the possible conflicts in
this area.

Preconfigured, application dependent values must not reside in
`display-buffer-names'.  That's why I'd need a shadow variable to
implement your propsal.

>> Would your really allow "other packages" mess with user options?
>
> Yes, sure.  As long as it's done safely via an helper-function that
> you wrote.  For example:
>
>    (display-add-buffer-names-default-entry '((foo-normal) <specifiers))

No matter how safely this is done - it changes the default value and not
the value in the user's .emacs.  And it will make the customization
interface complain about a value changed outside customize (fixing this
was one of the main reason why I started working with specifiers).

martin