Re: "ignore Y" in make_lispy_event

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: "ignore Y" in make_lispy_event
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 10:47:12 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> A comment in keyboard.c:make_lispy_event says:
>
>       /* For mode line and header line clicks, return X relative to
>        the left window edge; ignore Y.  Use mode_line_string to look
>        for a string on the click position.  */
>
> The code below that, introduced in revno 102413, indeed "ignores Y",
> in that it leaves yret at its initial zero value.  This breaks mouse
> clicks on the mode line that pop up menus via x-popup-menu: the menu
> is popped at the top of the frame/window, instead of at the place of
> the click.
>
> Chong, did you have good reasons to "ignore Y"?  If not, the simple
> patch below restores the correct behavior of the popup menus:

I was working using the Elisp manual as a spec:

    X, Y
          These are the pixel coordinates of the click, relative to the
          top left corner of WINDOW, which is `(0 . 0)'.  For the mode
          or header line, Y does not have meaningful data.  For the
          vertical line, X does not have meaningful data.

If there is existing code that relies on undocumented behavior, then we
should indeed restore the old behavior, and document it in the manual.