Re: English dictionary with definitions.

From: Sean Sieger
Subject: Re: English dictionary with definitions.
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 12:02:56 -0500

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

    > I wish to ask you what is the best choice for an English
    > dictionary with definitions.

    There probably is no "best choice".

    For American English, "American Heritage Dictionary" is quite good,
especially
    its comparative treatment of usage for synonyms and other related words.

There used to be a Random House Unabridged Dictionary CD-ROM.  I paid
twenty bucks for one 10 years ago.  Dictionary.com uses the same data.
It's really really great.

American Heritage has a pretty extensive etymology (though some would
have you believe it's carried away), but the Random House, to my way of
thinking is rivaled by none but the OED CD-ROM (which has a lousy
interface and is a big waste of money) in etymology and number of words.

Like Drew said, no best choice.  I use a combination of RHUD and OED,
both with quick selections in Emacs.