Re: Sending patch with Gnus

From: Francis Moreau
Subject: Re: Sending patch with Gnus
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 11:01:10 +0100

Leo <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> I tweaked gnus-dired to support git-send-email (patches attached).

Thanks for doing that.

Unfortunately your patches don't seem to be based on Gnus repository but
rather to emacs one that I don't have. So I can't test them.

> So if you have gnus-dired loaded you can in dired buffer:
>
> C-c C-m C-i    import patches as DRAFTS
> C-c C-m C-s    send patches directly
>
> This is handy when you need to send a large patch set. For one to two
> patches I just copy and paste.

Funny because I feel the opposite, I use git-send-email(1) when dealing
with a large patch set since the overhead to set it up is ok in this
case. But for one patch, I do it by hands as you do, but I would prefer
to not have editing the email manually.

But I think, your approach can still be usefull since it imports patches
as _drafts_. I don't think it's a good idea to modify the patch itself,
but modifying or adding some header fields like To, Cc, Bcc... should be
ok. And I like to check what the patch looks like before sending it.

One other idea is to generate one or several drafts from a buffer which
contains one or several mbox files. Let's call the magic command: M-x
create-draft-from-buffer (yeah the name sucks).

With such command, one could do in an emacs session:

  M-! git format-patch --stdout HEAD~4
  C-x o
  M-x create-draft-from-buffer

So you're putting in the *Shell Command Output* buffer the mbox files,
and then switching to that buffer and generating the drafts. The main
advantages I see is that you use a shell command to generate the buffer
containing the patches.

BTW, if you needn't to modify the patches and only want to see them
before sending them then you can currently do this:

  M-! git format-patch --stdout HEAD~4 >/tmp/patch-set.mbox
  C-x b *Group*
  G f /tmp/patch-set.mbox

This will create a nndoc group which contains all your patches as
articles.

Then you can mark all of them and resend them with 'S D r'. But you
can't add Cc or Gcc header fields with this method.

--
Francis