Re: set-variable and defcustom

From: Jay Belanger
Subject: Re: set-variable and defcustom
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2011 20:06:36 -0600

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:
>> I was wondering if it would be appropriate to have
>> `custom-prompt-variable' use defcustom's :get value when it finds the
>> current value of the variable, similarly to how
>> `customize-set-variable' uses defcustom's :set value, namely:
>
> Yes, this looks right.  The docstring should be fixed, too.

I made the following change to the docstring:

  If the variable has a `custom-type' property, it must be a widget and the
  `:prompt-value' property of that widget will be used for reading the value.
+ If the variable also has a `custom-get' property, that is used for finding
+ the current value of the variable, otherwise `symbol-value' is used.

  If optional COMMENT argument is non-nil, also prompt for a comment and return
  it as the third element in the list."