Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 100, Issue 28

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 100, Issue 28
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 04:36:53 -0500

> revno: 103590
> committer: Glenn Morris <address@hidden>
> branch nick: trunk
> timestamp: Tue 2011-03-08 00:59:18 -0800
> message:
>   Convert some names in texinfo files to UTF-8.
>
>   * doc/emacs/Makefile.in (MAKEINFO_OPTS): Add --enable-encoding.
>   * doc/emacs/emacs.texi (Acknowledgments):
>   * doc/emacs/ack.texi (Acknowledgments): Names to UTF-8.

That kind of change should have been discussed before committing it.
It _might_ be OK to use --enable-encoding to produce the on-line Info
version of the manuals (and even then not all Info readers out there
will support UTF-8), but have you thought about the printed output?
I'm not sure texinfo.tex and TeX will support UTF-8 encoding, or any
other multibyte encoding, for that matter.

We should at least consult with Karl Berry (CC'ed) before making any
such changes.

AFAIK, we previously used non-ASCII encoding only in manuals for which
the FSF does not produce books it wants to sell.  But the Emacs and
ELisp manuals _are_ on sale from the FSF.