updating web manuals [Re: Emacs 23.3 released

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: updating web manuals [Re: Emacs 23.3 released
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 10:28:48 +0100

Chong Yidong wrote:
> Note, by the way, that the manuals on the webpage are not yet updated
> yet.  I will do that over the next few days.

That can be a tediously er,... manual task, so for packages like
coreutils, diffutils, grep, etc., I automated it with this script:

    http://git.sv.gnu.org/cgit/gnulib.git/tree/build-aux/gnu-web-doc-update

Now, I run "build-aux/gnu-web-doc-update" after each release,
and it does everything.  Slightly hard to see is that it uses
the web-manual rule from gnulib's maint.mk:

.PHONY: web-manual
web-manual:
        @test -z "$(manual_title)" \
          && { echo define manual_title in cfg.mk 1>&2; exit 1; } || :
        @cd '$(srcdir)/doc'; \
          $(SHELL) ../build-aux/gendocs.sh $(gendocs_options_) \
             -o '$(abs_builddir)/doc/manual' \
             --email $(PACKAGE_BUGREPORT) $(PACKAGE) \
            "$(PACKAGE_NAME) - $(manual_title)"
        @echo " *** Upload the doc/manual directory to web-cvs."

It is obviously tailored to the use of git and other aspects of those
projects, but may be useful if you want to do something similar for emacs.