Re: save-excursion and save-current-buffer - edits to the manual

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: save-excursion and save-current-buffer - edits to the manual
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 18:33:39 -0400

    So now we've apparently gone all the way - from a warning issued supposedly
just
    in case, because a tiny minority of cases where `save-excursion' is used
with
    `set-buffer' are deemed (by some) to be inappropriate or not ideal, to your
    claiming outright that use of `save-excursion' "contradicts the compiler"
and
    "the compiler says no", it simply cannot be used.

Compiler warnings should be programmers' assistants, not their
masters.  That is why we have with-no-warnings.  We implement helpful
warnings about constructions that _might_ be mistakes, but that
doesn't mean they are taboo.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation