Keeping an ELPA checkout

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Keeping an ELPA checkout
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 18:21:59 -0400

I've been trying to use a checkout of ELPA with my "always run in-place"
development of Emacs, and I see some difficulties:

I currently basically add a symlink from emacs/lisp/packages to
elpa/packages.  A few tweaks are needed to convince Emacs to follow that
link when building Elisp files.
But this is too crude:
1- some files fail to compile (e.g. because they require ome package we
   don't distribute).
2- the automatic decision of what to include in load-path leads to
   shadows such as "auctex-11.86/style/url.el" vs "url/url.el".

I think we need to come up with a way to do the above but more robustly.

        Stefan