Re: python.el cleanup

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: python.el cleanup
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 16:10:11 +0200

Am 30.03.2011 04:58, schrieb Christoph Scholtes:
Stefan Monnier<address@hidden>  writes:

Could you just clarify why they're considered obsolete (e.g. what would
the user use instead)?

`python-shell' is not needed since Dave's mode already had
'run-python' to invoke the python interpreter. It offers no advantages
over run-python as far as I can tell except being able to toggle
between a Python and a Jython shell (see below for comments on that).

`python-comint-filter-function' is only called from `python-shell'.

`python-file-queue' is never populated anywhere, only read from
`python-comint filter-function'.

`python-default-interpreter' is only used by `python-shell' and not,
as advertised in its documentation, on first visiting a Python mode
buffer.

`python-python-command-args' and `python-jython-command-args' are only
used in the `python-toggle-shell' function.

`python-which-shell', `python-which-args' and `python-which-bufname'
are used for toggling between the Python and Jython shell.

Finally, `python-toggle-shell'. I think, that we should provide a better
solution for this and therefore remove the current implementation. This
code came from python-mode.el, if I traced that back right.

Hi Christoph,

glad to see Emacs python facilities improve. As you mention python-mode.el, there are some remarks in python.el which I feel are not correct. If some solution predates historically another, there are usually some setbacks from being the first.

OTOH from my perspective python-mode.el has still some point in proceding.

Hopefully we may discuss the pro and cons to the benefit of users, which flavour they may choose finally. As you might have been remarked, its interwoven to an extend, you can seldom discern it clearly to the one or other origin.

BTW I'm not blaming the GNU's side. Just wanted to point at the issue so we might hopefully reduce the obstacles.

Cheers

Andreas

--
https://code.launchpad.net/~a-roehler/python-mode/python-mode-components
https://code.launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/

Python interpreter selection should be universal and not only support Jython
and CPython, but also IronPyton, PyPy etc. I would like to implement a
better solution for this as soon as Fabian's changes are installed. I am
using IronPython quite a bit and it would be nice to be able to switch
flexibly between different interpreters.

Christoph