Re: Binding M-n and M-p to forward-paragraph and backward-paragraphrespe

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Binding M-n and M-p to forward-paragraph and backward-paragraphrespectively
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 18:15:34 +0900

Leo writes:

 > On the other hand, advertising M-n/p as global keys for users to
 > customise might be better than provide default bindings.

A big -1 on that.  C-c <letter> is reserved to users.  That's not very
many, but OTOH it's a very clear, and by now fairly well-known, and
very simple, rule.  Advertising random keys as available just because
they're not currently bound would be confusing and constraining.

I'm a small :-) -1 on the present proposal to bind M-n/M-p to
paragraph movement because they already have bindings in the default
global keymap.  I am aware that M-} is not easy to type on many
keyboards, and binding M-n to forward-paragraph would be a great
customization for people who prefer those layouts.  OTOH, there may be
other reasonable bindings (eg, I bind a command that rotates the tabs,
as I often have 2-3 times as many related buffers as can reasonably
fit on the tabs).