Re: cannot build bzr tip on mingw

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: cannot build bzr tip on mingw
Date: Tue, 03 May 2011 06:00:10 +0300

> Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 17:13:53 -0400
> From: Sam Steingold <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> From: Sam Steingold <address@hidden>
> >> Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 15:47:01 -0400
> >>
> >> $ ./configure.bat --no-debug --with-gcc --cflags -IC:/gnu/gnuwin32/include
> >> --ldflags -LC:/gnu/gnuwin32/lib  --without-xpm
> >
> > Do you always configure like that, or did something change since the
> > last time you bootstrapped?
>
> this is the way I always configure.

Then something else changed on your machine, because the compiler is
now unusable:

> > What does the following command display?
> >
> >    gcc -print-file-name=libmingw32.a
>
> libmingw32.a

This means it didn't find it in any of the places it knows to look.
When it finds the library, it displays its full absolute file name,
like this, for example (from my machine):

  D:/usr/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.2/../../../libmingw32.a

You need to find out what changed on your machine lately that causes
this problem.  Perhaps some environment variables or a change in
directory structure, or some Cygwin-specific change?

> > But yes, you can use GCC 4, modulo the caveats in etc/PROBLEMS.
>
> how, given that it no longer supports -mno-cygwin?

Why, by installing the native MinGW port of GCC, of course.  The
Cygwin project doesn't really care about the native builds, so relying
on it for native builds is not a good idea in the long run.