Re: Limited-access technical advice

From: Jason Earl
Subject: Re: Limited-access technical advice
Date: Tue, 03 May 2011 13:07:15 -0600

On Tue, May 03 2011, Richard Stallman wrote:

> It was reported to me that a lot of technical advice about Emacs is
> requested and given in Google groups, which are only visible to people
> who use Gmail.

Google Groups is mostly just a web front end for USENET.  In fact, if
you go to groups.google.com and search for "emacs" gnu.emacs.help and
comp.emacs are the two groups that come up as matches.  Of the two
groups gnu.emacs.help is far and away the most active.  So the good news
is that chances are extremely good that the technical advice that was
reported to you as being on "Google Groups" is actually being done on
gnu.emacs.help.

I believe that you *do* have to have a Google account to post to Google
Groups, but you can read the group without one.  Not that I would
recommend using Google Groups to read gnu.emacs.help.  For all of
Google's technical acumen they do not appear to even attempt to filter
spam on their newsfeeds.

Jason