Re: `C-b' is backward-char, `left' is left-char - why?

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: `C-b' is backward-char, `left' is left-char - why?
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 22:48:52 +0200

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm curious. Why is it a good idea that `C-b' and `left' are no longer bound
> the same command?

C-h k <left> gives:

<left> runs the command backward-char, which is an interactive
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

C-h k C-b gives:

C-b runs the command backward-char, which is an interactive built-in

I don't see any difference in my emacs-version "23.2.1".

> I'm not asking about the difference; I can see that from the doc strings.  I'm
> wondering why we've broken their longstanding correspondence.

Major or minor modes however may set their own bindings.  Perhaps you
have a buffer in a mode that defines a command named left, and which
binds <left> to it?

You can check the binding of the current modes with C-h m