Re: Modifying Emacs to use the Mac OS X Keychain Services

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Modifying Emacs to use the Mac OS X Keychain Services
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 13:09:32 +0200

Ben Key <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,

Hi,

> OS X Keychain Services to Emacs.  It looks like what I need to do is
> to make changes to lisp/net/secrets.el.  Specifically I need to modify
> the functions secrets-create-item, secrets-delete-item,
> secrets-get-alias, secrets-get-attributes, secrets-get-secret,
> secrets-list-collections, and secrets-search-items so that on Mac OS X
> they call new built in functions that use the Mac OS X Keychain
> Services instead of using dbus-call-method to communicate with the
> "org.freedesktop.secrets" service.

secrets.el was initiated as implementation of D-Bus'
org.freedesktop.secrets interface. Does there exist a a server under OS
X for that? I know the Gnome (keyring) and KDE (kwallet) implementations
so far, a short search does not return results for OS X.

The functions in secrets.el are designed to give simple access to that
interface.

> Is that an accurate assessment of what needs to be done?  If it is,
> just let me know and I will begin working on it this weekend.

Could be. But I believe a more clean solution would be to implement an
own package for OS X Keychain Services, which will be integrated into
auth-source then. Other Lisp packages will likely call auth-source
functions, instead those of secrets.el.

Best regards, Michael.