Re: Pretest begins end-June

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Pretest begins end-June
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 21:29:15 +0300

> From: Chong Yidong <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 12:07:03 -0400
>
> Stefan and I have decided on the end of June for the beginning of the
> Emacs 24.1 pretest.  We're hoping for an early 2012 release, but, as
> always, that will depend on the code.

That schedule is way too early for the bidi stuff.  There are still 2
major jobs I need to do (reordering display strings and support for
truncated lines) and one minor one (a couple of bug reports regarding
cursor motion around invisible text and before-/after-strings).
There's no chance in the world that they will be ready in a month.

I also understand that Handa-san is working on modifying uni-bidi.el
and uni-mirror.el so that they could be used by bidi.c, instead of the
current separate tables.  I would like to have that done before we
enter feature freeze.

If you must start the pretest so early, then either 24.1 will need to
be released with the bidi flag off, or we will have significant
potentially destabilizing changes during the pretest (which
contradicts the feature freeze and will generally prolong the
pretest).

I'm sorry for my slow progress, but that's the best I can do working
alone on this.

Please tell me what is your decision on that.