Re: Opportunistic STARTTLS in smtpmail.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Opportunistic STARTTLS in smtpmail.el
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 22:29:51 -0300

> (Just to be clear: my proposed format is
> "login joe password gpg:ABCD123456" where the gpg: data decodes to
> ((data "mysecret") (salt "mysalt")) and no other values besides the
> data are used outside; a gpg: value can only yield one piece of
> data and only needs to be decoded when you need the actual data.)

I have a question about this: does the Gnome keychain tool (as well as
comparable tools for other systems) offer the possibility to know if
a password exists without having first granted access to that password?
If not, then we will need an smtpmail-use-auth variable anyway, so the
above gymnastic will be unnecessary.

        Stefan