Re: derived-mode should provide default abbrev-table

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: derived-mode should provide default abbrev-table
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 12:42:52 -0400

> `define-derived-mode' says:
> :abbrev-table TABLE
>       Use TABLE instead of the default.
>       A nil value means to simply use the same abbrev-table as the parent.
> Two issues:
> - If the slot isn't served, no abbrev-table exists AFAIS.

As the doc says, it just uses the same as the parent (if the parent
doesn't use any, then the child won't use any either).

> A bug IMHO: Specification should be required only for non-defaults. Ie
> ":abbrev-table nil" should be the default.

I agree.  And yes, I'm guilty of making this design choice back then.
It was an unfortunate decision but I'm not sure it's worth changing now.

> - If a name is given which doesn't represent a valid table, the mode hook
> should make an empty one from it silently.

No, that's not how it works: we do not want to encourage the use of
non-standard abbrev-table names.

        Stefan