Re: other-buffer advice on kill-buffer

From: Antoine Levitt
Subject: Re: other-buffer advice on kill-buffer
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2011 02:40:49 +0200

02/08/11 02:06, Jérémy Compostella
> Antoine Levitt <address@hidden> writes:
>> Just out of curiosity, what buffers are you trying to exclude?
> I developed an activity manager since I use Emacs as my full desktop
> environment (Web, Mail, Jabber, Code with different project at the same
> time).
>
> This activity module let me define statically and dynamically
> activities. Activities are named and have open/enable/disable handlers to
> modify the Emacs behavior in regards of what I like to do under a
> particular activity.

That seems interesting. I toyed with the idea in my mind some time ago,
but couldn't figure out something neat enough to be really
usable. Ideally, you'd have separate buffer groups, and C-x b with
ido/iswitchb/whatever would only display the current group. There'd be a
system to switch activity, with memorised window configurations, and
notifications (say, ERC or gnus has received new messages, or a
compilation has finished) would be unified (so you could have one
keybinding to "switch to the activity requiring attention"). However,
that all seems a bit hackish, and I wonder if that's not twisting emacs
around too much.

Your code looks cool, but I'm thinking of something a little more static
- ie "c-mode or emacs-lisp-mode files under ~/emacs go to activity
emacs-hack", etc.