Re: Proposing Addition of a BIDI SubMenu to "Options"

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Proposing Addition of a BIDI SubMenu to "Options"
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 22:33:09 +0300

> From: Mohsen BANAN <address@hidden>
> Cc: Mohsen BANAN <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 11:23:09 -0700
>
> So, if you and others agree that this is a good
> time to put in place a starting point, then let's
> do it.
>
> If you think it is too soon, then we wait.

It's not too soon, although we must be cautious not to introduce too
many new features, as the pretest is close.

>   Eli> I object to exposing bidi-display-reordering to the user level.  It is
>   Eli> no accident that I didn't make it a user option (unlike
>   Eli> bidi-paragraph-direction).  There should be no reason for users to
>   Eli> change this variable, at least not conveniently.
>
> In theory I agree.
>
> In practice I catch myself using that menu item.

Because there are still bugs, and when we see a potential bug, we want
to check if it's due to bidi.  That's specific to development.  But
the menu bar is for the users, not for developers.