Re: No sources for lisp/international/uni-*.el?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: No sources for lisp/international/uni-*.el?
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 00:32:25 -0400

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 11:04:49 +0900
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> I don't know if it is still true, but I seem to recall that although
> you are allowed to use Unidata freely-as-in-free-software, the Unicode
> Consortium wants you (with some degree of legal coercion) to refer
> downstream users to their canonical originals, and not distribute them
> yourself.

IANAL, but it sounds like this have changed, see

  http://www.unicode.org/copyright.html#Exhibit1

It says, inter alia:

 Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining
 a copy of the Unicode data files and any associated documentation
 (the "Data Files") or Unicode software and any associated
 documentation (the "Software") to deal in the Data Files or Software
 without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use,
 copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, and/or sell copies of the
 Data Files or Software, and to permit persons to whom the Data Files
 or Software are furnished to do so, provided that (a) the above
 copyright notice(s) and this permission notice appear with all copies
 of the Data Files or Software, (b) both the above copyright notice(s)
 and this permission notice appear in associated documentation, and
 (c) there is clear notice in each modified Data File or in the
 Software as well as in the documentation associated with the Data
 File(s) or Software that the data or software has been modified.