Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 18:30:56 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Chong Yidong <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden,
>>         address@hidden
>> Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 12:07:05 -0400
>>
>> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > Seriously, though: why do you need any conditions here?  An LRM will
>> > have no effect if str is not reordered, so why not put it there
>> > unconditionally?
>>
>> Suppose a user kills some text from a Gnus summary buffer which contains
>> these LRM characters, and yanks it into a latin-1 file.  Suddenly, that
>> file can't be saved, even though there is no non-latin-1 script in the
>> buffer clearly visible.
>
> When you type "C-x C-s", Emacs clearly shows the characters that
> cannot be encoded as Latin-1.  We all bump into such issues from time
> to time, especially when communicating via email or news articles.  I
> see no particular problem here.

We see such issues in general only when there has been some external
source of foreign characters in play.  But when I am copying and pasting
elements from an ASCII-only user interface showing ASCII-only summary
lines, there has not been any external source of foreign characters
involved.  Emacs should not become unpredictable in an ASCII-only
environment with ASCII-only data sources.  Let alone in a latin-1
environment.

--
David Kastrup