Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r105429: New function `string-mar

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r105429: New function `string-mark-left-to-right' for handling LRMs.
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 22:14:28 -0400

> +** New function `string-mark-left-to-right' appends a Unicode LRM
> +(left-to-right mark) character to a string if it terminates in
> +right-to-left script.  This is useful when the buffer has overall
> +left-to-right paragraph direction and you need to insert a string
> +whose contents (and directionality) are not known in advance.

This is too low-level a description I think.  It's understandable by
people who understand what LRM does, but I think we should try and make
it clearer.  Same for its docstring, of course.
Maybe something along the lines of

  "Add whatever is necessary for STRING to make sure its content is not
  reordered with surrounding text"

Though I think this assumes that the surrounding text is L2R, in which
case the description should also say so.

        Stefan