Re: more on starttls, gnutls-cli and using tls for mail

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: more on starttls, gnutls-cli and using tls for mail
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 01:42:47 -0400

Leo <address@hidden> writes:
>I use smtpmail-auth-credentials to pass different user names for the
>gmail smtps I am using. With the new smtpmail.el I haven't found a way
>to do that.

Yes, I'm in that situation too now -- which is why I think it's so
unfortunate that `smtpmail-auth-credentials' went away :-(.

I've found a way to do it, using the new smtpmail.el, but it's ugly.
I have `message-send-hook' set up ~/.authinfo for every mail message,
and then I remove the file afterwards in `message-sent-hook'.  Search
for "kf-set-up-authinfo" in [1] if you want the code.

Naturally I hope we'll restore the lost functionality to smtpmail.el, so
this kluge will become unnecessary!  The ideal behavior, I think, would
be to pay attention to ~/.authinfo when it is present, but fall back to
trying `smtpmail-auth-credentials' when it's not.

-Karl

[1] http://svn.red-bean.com/repos/kfogel/trunk/.emacs