Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 13:27:47 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> You are dead wrong: I have no activism stance in this matter.  I
> actually don't care.  My job was to give Emacs infrastructure upon
> which bidi-aware features could be built.  That job is almost done,
> modulo bugs that will show during the pretest.

And that is an important job that makes Emacs usable for a new audience.
It won't make it pretty for the new audience, but Emacs is not really
pretty except for users comfortable with an English interface.

> The rest is the responsibility of those unnamed "external maintainers
> of modes"--they are free not to care about catering to the hundreds of
> millions of readers of R2L scripts enough to adapt: it's their
> funeral.

Nope, it is Emacs' funeral if one can't expect it to produce consistent
results without lots of changes all across third party code bases.

My position is that we should be quite conservative with changing its
behavior for pure L2R material, or requiring such changes from
third-party code authors.

> Everything I wrote in this thread is just advice, no less, no more.
> Advice from someone who knows something about how reordering works,
> and what can or cannot be easily solved or coded.  You can take it or
> you can continue attacking it, be my guest any way.  But if you want
> to convince me, you will have to come up with something more tangible
> than just FUD.

There is no way that I can make you acknowledge something you choose to
ignore.  But since you are not the only Emacs developer, raising the
issues may still make them register with others.

--
David Kastrup