Re: completion-list-mode-map

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: completion-list-mode-map
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 08:57:36 +0200

>> That function has a quite separate history and is mostly
>> `switch-to-buffer' optionally killing or burying the current buffer.
>
> That is exactly the problem with `quit-window' that is being discussed
> in this thread.

All I found is that Scholtes said that

> > Like I said, I noticed some inconsistencies with the behavior of buffers
> > like completion, especially when it comes to quitting and/or killing the
> > buffer. Most notably help-mode stands out since it has a view-mode minor
> > mode, which maps `q' to `quit-window' and `z' to a scroll function. In
> > special-mode buffers I can use `q' to quit (and bury) and `z' to kill,
> > which is nice. help-mode requires me to set the view-exit-action to
> > `kill' to achieve a similar result, but it is still inconsistent. Could
> > we make help-mode derive its map from special-mode also? Or would this
> > change the key bindings for help-mode too much?

So IIUC he wants the current behavior of `quit-window' extend to
help-mode as well.  OTOH my personal `special-mode-map' has

(defvar special-mode-map
  (let ((map (make-sparse-keymap)))
    (suppress-keymap map)
    (define-key map "q" 'quit-restore-window)
    (define-key map "z" 'kill-this-buffer)
    map))

so I don't know why you need to conflate the two functions.

martin